Monday, October 1, 2012

Jean-Baptiste Clément - The time of the cherries

André Dassary's version:
And a more modern take by Noir Désir:

Original Title: "Le temps des cerises"
Year: 1868
When we'll sing the time of the cherries
And joyful nightingale and mocking blackbird
Will all be in a festive mood.
Beauties will have folly in the head
and the lovers some sun in the heart.
When we'll sing the time of the cherries
The mocking blackbird will whistle way better

But it's quite short : the time of the cherries
Where we both go pick while dreaming
drop earrings...
Love cherries with vermilion's robes
Falling under the leaf in drops of blood
But it is quite short : the time of the cherries,
Coral earrings we pick up while dreaming!

When you'll be at the time of the cherries
If you're afraid of love sorrows :
Avoid the beauties!
I who do not fear the cruel sorrows
I'll not live without suffering one day...

When you'll be at the time of the cherries
You too will have love sorrows!
I'll always love the time of the cherries
It's from that time that I keep in my heart
An open wound!

And Lady Fortune, being offered to me
will never be able to ease my pain....
I'll always love the time of the cherries
And the memory I keep in my heart!

Many many versions exists, here are the main ones:
Réda Caire's version:

Yves Montand's version:

Cora Vaucaire's version:

Mouloudji's version

Charles Trenet's version:

Tino Rossi's version:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...